Well, up to now, we have recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner, afternoon tea cakes… but, what should you take with you if you’re going out and want to have a healthy snack? Or if you want to have something near in case of those pre-meal cravings at work, or when you need an energy boost in the middle of your shift with a cup of coffee? Then is when we have one of our snack bars, in this case, apple and red berries, but you really can put anything you’d like in them. I used what I had, walnuts (which could of be peanuts, almonds, nuts… and pitted dates or raisins instead of the red berries I used, dry banana chips, etc…
Because I used a whole apple diced in very small pieces the texture of my snack bars is more spongey. If you prefer a drier consistency, just swap the whole apple by a couple of spoons of apple sauce or pure.
And here is the recipe!
- 2 cups oat flakes
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla
- 60 ml coconut milk
- 30 ml sunflower oil
- 65 ml honey
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 apple peeled and diced
- 45 g red berries
- 30 g chopped walnuts
- 30 g dry banana chips
- Mix well all the ingredients in a bowl until you get a thick paste
- Spread in a rectangular baking tin lined with baking parchment
- Cover with cling film and press helped with a can or rolling pin...
- Place in the preheated oven at 180° in the center until the top is golden brown.
- Take off from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- While still warm, cut in bars and let cool completely.
- Wrap individually with cling film and keep in a dry place.
- The bars can be stored for 5-7 days, if the last so long!